Monday 21 February 2011

volunteering at Bloomsbury Baptist Chuch


 



Every Tuesday morning I volunteer at the Bloomsbury Baptist Church for my class on social welfare.  Tuesday mornings are set aside by the church as a time to provide companionship and a warm meal for elderly people who have difficulty getting out into the community.  


(From left: Richard, Michael, me, Dorothy).
I love these guys.  Richard is so cute and likes to ask questions about America such as: "Ahfton, what does SUV mean?" "Ahfton, what is the capital of North Carolina?" "Ahfton, do blondes really have more fun?"  Last week he brought in a map of America because he wanted to see where I live and he brought sweet potato recipes because he knows how much I like them.  Michael helped teach me how to play Scrabble and beats me every time.  He enjoys rules and telling stories about how his parents met while serving in military in China.  Dorothy is hilarious. During WWII she served in the Air Force as a plotter and after the war she worked as a dance teacher.  She likes to complain about a transsexual that comes to the church.  On Tuesday mornings after we've talked for a bit, we play Scrabble and then Dominoes and then eat lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment